Missouri Motorcycle Insurance

Why Get Motorcycle Insurance in Missouri
Most people don’t give much thought to their insurance coverage until something happens and they need to file a claim. Motorcycle owners are required by the state of Missouri to carry adequate liability coverage in order to legally operate a vehicle on the road. It’s important to remember that this is for your protection. If you are involved in an accident and have no insurance coverage, it can be devastating financially. And this doesn’t even take into account if there are serious injuries involved. Motorcycle insurance also protects you in case your vehicle is damaged or stolen. Don’t run the risk of financial ruin by driving without adequate coverage.

Motorcycle Riding in Missouri
Missouri defines a motorcycle as any two or three-wheeled unit equipped with an automatic transmission and a motor engine with a cylinder capacity of no more than 50 cc with the ability to produce less than three gross horsepower and with a speed of not more than thirty miles per hour. Although a valid driver’s license is needed to operate a motorcycle in Missouri, not all motorized bicycles must be registered under state law.

To be able to operate a motorcycle on Missouri’s public roads either a class M motorcycle permit or a regular driver’s license with a designated M endorsement is required. Temporary motorcycle instructional permits are issued to applicants who are at least 15.5 years of age provided they successfully completed the following requirements:

  1. Motorcycle Training Course
  2. Vision, Written and Road sign tests
  3. Written parental or legal guardian’s consent
  4. Payment of $6.25 application fee

Motorcycle License Requirements

  • $10 fee for a three-year license or a $20 fee for a six-year license
  • Knowledge test
  • Hands- on motorcycle driving test

Minimum Insurance Requirements in Missouri
To drive legally in Missouri, motorcycle operators must carry at least the following minimum amounts of liability coverage:

  • $25,000 for bodily injury of one person
  • $50,000 for bodily injury of all injured parties
  • $10,000 for property damage in one accident

Drivers can also obtain insurance without using agents or brokers by obtaining and filing one of the following items:

  • A Real Estate Bond
  • A Cash Deposit
  • A Surety Bond

In this case, the filing should be done with the Missouri Department of Revenue. Moreover, all motorcycle drivers should carry proof of insurance with them at all times when operating their vehicles.