Canada Ontario

In Ontario, there are over 140 companies that provide customers a wide range of insurance products. They compete with one another to provide the best mixture of price, service, and coverage. The laws of Ontario require that all drivers maintain a minimum amount of insurance in order to drive legally. offers Ontario car insurance quotes and rates for residents of Ontario.

With such a mix of options available, it is essential that Ontario residents shop for their best coverage options. Finding the right mix of coverage is essential for everyone who uses a car. The insurance companies of Ontario provide benefits for those people who have been injured in an auto accident, as well as those who are unable to work as a result of an accident. Of course, auto insurance in Ontario is not just about protecting one’s own health, they also guard against financial ruin for those customers who are sued for injuring someone else in an auto accident. Recent changes to provincial insurance law have made it far more affordable for those drivers who work with a limited budget.

Auto insurance companies are partnering with government bodies far more than ever before to ensure that the system provides the best mixture of price and value; they are always seeking the newest, best ways to provide car insurance at the lowest possible price. provides prospective customers with a quick, efficient way to search car insurance rates online day or night!

Required Ontario Auto & Car Insurance Coverage
There are minimum coverage’s that drivers must obtain in Ontario in order to be driving legally. These minimums entitle the insured to the following:

If by operating your vehicle you become responsible for someone else’s losses (Third Party Liability Coverage):
If you are found at fault for causing a car wreck, and are sued for another person’s injury or death, your insurance company must cover you for up to $200,000 for legal settlement or court judgment. If the suit against you includes both injury and property damage, and the total claim totals greater than the $200,000 limit, the insurance company will only pay a maximum of $10,000 for the property damage. Of course, if you had no insurance, and somebody sued you, the fault and liability would be yours alone.

If you are injured in a car crash:
Regardless of who is found at fault for the accident, you are entitle to the following benefits:

If you need medical care (Medical Benefits):
Your insurance company must cover your medical expenses, subject to a maximum limit of $100,000 per person, or up to $1,000,000 if the injury is considered “catastrophic.” This includes the cost of any rehabilitation services, as well. Your insurance company will only begin paying after other existing coverage is exhausted. In addition to your payments for injury, you can also claim up to $72,000 if you require assistance from a third party as a result of your injury. You may claim up to $1 million in benefits if your injury requires care from an attendant or caregiver for “catastrophic” injuries.

If your injury causes you to miss work (Disability Income/Income Replacement Benefits):
Your insurance company will pay you eighty percent of your after-tax wages, up to $400 per week, for up to 2 years if you are disabled. Benefits stop after 12 weeks for Whiplash Associated Disorder I, known as WAD I injuries. For WAD II injuries, benefits are capped at 16 weeks. If you had no paid employment before being injured, and are determined to be unable to carry on a normal life, you will receive $185 per week for 2 years. At the end of the 104 week period, you receive $320 per week if you were a student of had graduated in the year prior, even if you hadn’t yet obtained a job. If you were employed, you can begin to receive the benefit after a seven day waiting period. There is no back-pay for the first seven day period. Were you not employed, benefits would begin after a 26 week, or 6 month, waiting period.

If you are killed in a car crash (Death Benefits): 
Regardless of who is responsible, your family is entitled to your death benefits. As long as your death occurs within 180 days of an accident, or within 3 years if you were continually disabled during the time from your injury, your spouse would receive a benefit of no less than $63,766. Your family would receive an additional $12,753 per dependant surviving child. If your dependant were to die in a car wreck, you would be paid $12,753.

Suing the responsible driver: 
If you believe that another driver caused your injuries or property damage as well as any other losses, you are entitled to benefits. These are above and beyond what you received as part of your no-fault benefits. You and/or your family may file suit against the offending party for additional damages. You may sue for 80% of your after-tax income before the trial, and for all of your gross income loss after the trial. You may also file suit to recoup and medical, rehabilitation, and other costs associated with your injury assuming you meet the threshold for pain and suffering claims.

You may also file suit against the other driver for pain and suffering, if and only if the injured party dies or is “permanently and seriously” disfigured, or suffers an impairment of physical, mental, or psychological faculties. The ruling court assesses damages in these cases and will remove $30,000 as a deductible. This deductible is $15,000 if it is a Family Law Act claim.

If you want more than the minimum coverage:
You can, of course, obtain more than the minimum coverage. You may buy additional auto insurance coverage for theft, vandalism, or to protect from any other damages to your property. You have the option to buy higher amounts of insurance on some coverage listed above, such as Third Party Liability and Accident Benefits.