Alabama Motorcycle Insurance

Why Get Motorcycle Insurance in Alabama
Everyone who owns and operates a motorcycle in the state of Alabama is required by law to have proper insurance coverage. Motorcycle enthusiasts love driving their vehicles around the state’s many highways, especially with the mild temperatures and scenic beauty Alabama has to offer. But more time on the road also increases the risk you may be involved in an accident. This is why having adequate motorcycle insurance is so important.

Motorcycle Riding in Alabama
In Alabama, a motorcycle is defined as a two or three-wheeled vehicle which has a driver’s seat. Motorcycles are different from “motor-driven cycles” that produce limited horse-power and weigh less than 200 pounds. Before operating your motorcycle, you must obtain an Alabama Motorcycle License. To apply for an “M” class motorcycle license in Alabama, you must be at least 16 years of age. Applicants who are between the ages of 14 and 16 may still apply for a license in Alabama but can only obtain a class “M” restricted license. This allows them to operate a motor-driven cycle, but not an actual motorcycle. To obtain an Alabama Motorcycle License requires passing a test which includes an assessment of the applicant’s knowledge of traffic laws in Alabama and the physical ability to drive a motorcycle. Other requirements include: a photo ID, proof of school enrollment, visual acuity screening, fees, parental consent (if under 18) and a driving permit held for at least 6 months prior to applying for a permanent license.

Minimum Insurance Requirements in Alabama
In order to drive legally in Alabama, the state law requires owners of motorcycles to purchase and carry liability insurance with a minimum coverage of:

  • $25,000 for bodily injury of one person
  • $50,000 for bodily injury of all injured parties
  • $25,000 for property damage in one accident

Drivers can also obtain insurance without using agents or brokers by obtaining and filing one of the following items:

  • A Liability Bond of not less than $50,000
  • A Cash Deposit of not less than $50,000

In either case, the filing should be done with the Alabama Department of Revenue. Moreover, all motorcycle drivers should carry proof of insurance with them at all times when operating their vehicles.