Winter Weather Tips
Homeowners Winter Weather Tips
There are some practical tips you can follow to ensure you, your family, and your home are properly covered when extreme winter weather hits.
- Keep a disaster-preparation kit which includes rock salt to melt ice on walkways, sand to improve traction, and snow shovels as well as other snow removal equipment.
- Make sure you have sufficient heating fuel in case regular sources of fuel are cut off. Having a good supply of wood is a good place to start.
- Winterize your home by insulating walls and attics. Caulk and weather-strip door and windows and/or install storm windows or cover them with plastic.
- Insulate pipes and allow faucets to drip a little to prevent pipes from freezing.
- Keep a fire extinguisher nearby and make sure everyone in your house knows how to use it. As people seek alternate ways of heating their home, the risk of house fires increases so having an extinguisher is always a wise idea.
- Know where and how to shut off your water in case a pipe bursts.
- Ensure that your roof is structurally sound so it can sustain heavy accumulations of snow and ice. Be prepared also for the inevitable deluge when it all melts.
Using InsuranceUSA.com can help you find the right homeowners insurance. So, don’t delay any longer, simply enter your zip code and get started today!