Most homeowners insurance companies consider mold caused by water to be a home maintenance issue and typically isn’t covered by the standard homeowners policy. What this means is that mold is considered a preventable problem.
There are several things you can do to prevent mold in your home.
- Clean indoor water spills immediately. Wet or damp areas that are dried within 24 to 48 hours will usually not become moldy
- Clean and repair your gutters.
- Ensure your ground slopes away from the building so water doesn’t pool or collect around the foundation.
- Keep your air conditioning drip pans cleaned out and drain lines unobstructed.
- Keep your indoor humidity below 60% but ideally between 30% and 50%. If you see condensation collecting on walls, windows, or pipes, act immediately and dry those surfaces. Condensation is a sure sign of high humidity.
Preventing mold is ultimately your responsibility, so taking as many precautions to prevent it is very important.
Using InsuranceUSA.com can help you find the right homeowners insurance. So, don’t delay any longer, simply enter your zip code and get started today!